Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Per Session: 2-6 Minutes
Complete as many sessions as possible in about an hour for usable results.
- A screenshot or printout
- Pens or pencils
- An audio recorder for verbal answers
Carry Out This Method
Determine how you want to administer the test.
- Manually. A test facilitator shows participants a printout or screenshot for five seconds, and then hides or closes it.
- Automatically. UsabilityHub’s tool at www.fivesecondtest.com can be configured to collect results for you.
Determine what kinds of results you need and how users should provide their responses.
- Free Listing Technique. Provide two pens (one for backup) and paper, and have customers write everything they remember, one item per line. Give them all the time they need.
- Draw Back Technique. Give participants paper and black-and-white drawing implements to draw what they remember. Tell participants not to be too detailed or use any color lest they draw too slowly and forget what they saw. Do not limit their time, however.
- Open-Ended Questions. Ask your customers questions, like: “What does this site convey?” “What is the purpose of this page?” “What can you do here?” Use an audio recording device to gather spoken answers.
Collect all responses, and analyze the results to look for patterns.