Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Time to Analyze a Single Task and Prepare a Report: 4-8 hours
- Server log files or
- Reports from software like Google Analytics’ Flow Visualization Reports
Carry Out This Method
- Describe the problem you are trying to answer.
- Describe one or more hypotheses for why the problem is occurring.
- Many analytics applications will email clickstream reports on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis; request access to these, if applicable. Otherwise, partner with someone who has server log access and can run custom queries for you and help interpret the data.
- Examine the clickstream information.
- Determine which hypothesis the clickstream information supports.
- Explore alternative explanations.
- When you’re satisfied with the hypotheses, document the results of your research.
- Create a plan for A/B Testing to verify or determine the root cause.
Try These Tips
Clickstream Analysis can identify a problem, but only qualitative analysis and user testing will explain the reason for user behavior.
Explore More Resources
- Open Tracker: Clickstream or clickpath analysis
- Wikipedia: Clickstream
- Mashable: Clickstreams: What They Are and Why You Should Track Them
- Gartner: Clickstream Analysis
- Google Analytics: Flow visualization reports