Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Time Needed: 2 Days – 2 Weeks
(depending on the size of your site)
- Access to the current live site
Carry Out This Method
- Access the site whose content you need to inventory.
- Systematically visit every section of the site and every link you can find.
- Add each content item to a spreadsheet in an outline form. Include its title, current URL, date added/updated, and any other detail that may be needed (author, tags, keywords, etc).
- Older sites often have orphaned pages that are inaccessible from other pages. To inventory content on such pages, you may need access to the server where they are stored.
- Create a Site Map Diagram that displays all of the pages and the site hierarchy. If content is served by a CMS, the diagram may be generated automatically.
- Examine your content inventory for redundant content that can be removed. If your site has no need for an archive, remove all out-of-date materials as well.
- Perform a Card Sort test on all remaining content items in order to reorganize existing content.
Try These Tips
- This method can be used for apps whose feature set has grown over time. A features inventory can help you determine which features can be removed, need to be renamed, or should be spun off into a separate app.
- When designing a new site, begin a content inventory spreadsheet immediately and update it as content is added. This will save time later in the event of a CMS change, redesign, or content structure update.