Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Time Needed Depending on How Much Research is Available: At Least 1 Week
- Documented research results
- Relevant market and user analysis
Carry Out This Method
- Collect and analyze the results of market research studies you have completed, or relevant market research that already exists.
- Analyze video, transcripts, or quotes from completed contextual observation or user interviews your team has completed.
- Compare these test results to the tasks you expect users to complete with your product. If any tasks would be too difficult in the product as it is currently designed, bring this to the attention of the design team.
- Determine usability gaps that require further research.
- If your analysis indicates that further contextual information is required, send researchers into the user environment to use the appropriate observation method. This may be Bodystorming, Contextual Inquiry, or Day In The Life depending on your needs and the context in question.
Try These Tips
- These insights can inform the creation of Personas.
- This method can help you determine where there are gaps in your user research.
Explore More Resources
- Usability Body of Knowledge: Context of Use Analysis
- Usability.net: Analyse context of use
- Expressive Product Design: Context of Use: A simple form to identify main constraints