Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Time for Review: 30 Minutes – 1 Hour
- Frequency: Sporadic; whenever you need inspiration, or every few weeks for an indeterminate time
- Existing Style Guides and Design Pattern Libraries
See “Explore More Resources” below
Carry Out This Method
- Compile a list of the style guides and libraries that cover the design pattern you want to review.
- Open each library in a different browser tab. Using multiple browser tabs lets you quickly compare the same pattern in different libraries.
- Review the patterns that solve your problem in each library, comparing and contrasting the different approaches.
- Examine which aspects of these patterns do or do not address your problem. Carefully consider any new problems each solution might create when applied to your product.
- Design the solution that will work in the context of your product.
Try These Tips
- Consider printing out the best patterns and hanging them in your work area.
- Review design pattern libraries and style guides frequently. Several of them are updated with new screenshots each month, and continued review will keep you up-to-date on trends and best practices.
- Bookmark any design patterns you use frequently.
- Review anti-patterns and solutions with known issues. Know the solutions to avoid and why.
Explore More Resources
General Pattern Libraries
- Axure Pattern Library
- Blink UX Pattern Library
- Dell Design Library
- Design Guidance for Windows Store apps
- Google’s Material Design Guidelines
- Interface Design Patterns
- Jenifer Tidwell – Designing Interfaces
- Apple’s macOS Human Interface Guidelines
- UI Patterns
- Welie Pattern Library
- Windows 8 Desktop Design Library
- Yahoo Pattern Library