Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Preparation: 1 Hour
- Time Needed to Create Empathy Map: 1 Hour
Carry Out This Method
- Before you can create an Empathy Map, you will need to have User Scenarios and Personas for this product. Because this method focuses on fringe cases, be sure you have a Primary Persona to focus on before proceeding. Focusing on fringe cases for secondary personas would result in too big a scope increase for your product.
- Invite product team members and stakeholders to a meeting. Break participants into groups of 3 or 4 people each.
- Have each group draw a stick figure of their persona on the board, and five sections around the stick figure labelled “See,” “Hear,” “Think,” “Feel,” and “Do.”
- Provide each group with one user scenario.
- Give your groups 30 minutes to brainstorm the persona’s sensory input, thoughts, feelings and actions over the course of the scenario and record them in the appropriate spaces on the whiteboard.
- As they work, walk around the room visiting each group. Ask what insights they’ve gained about the primary persona that will inform design.
- Ask each group to present their findings.
- Photograph the Empathy Maps for reference.
Try These Tips
- Don’t make the scenarios so extreme that they are unrealistic.
- If you will be writing User Scenarios in the same session, make certain the Empathy Maps whiteboards remain visible and can be easily referenced.