Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Time Needed: 8 Hours
Carry Out This Method
- Identify functions that either user or software can perform or share. (From Heuristic Analysis, Voice of Customer feedback, Stakeholder Interviews.)
- Consider how the product can perform the function.
- Identify information that can be automatically formatted.
- Identify information the product can automatically display based on other information entered.
- Identify information the product can automatically correct based on other information entered. Identify information the product can store in memory.
- Create a standard for how incorrect formatting will be handled, either with correction or communication to the user.
- Create a standard for how data entry errors will be handled.
- Record the results of your analysis and deliver to stakeholders for discussion and prioritization.
Try These Tips
- A product should anticipate a user’s needs. It should remember information a user has entered and not force the user to enter it again.
- Don’t focus on the task as “the user enters their phone number.” Instead, think of it as “system gets the user’s phone number.” Ask yourself, does the user need to fill out the phone number or can I retrieve it from an existing source?
Explore More Resources
- Usability Body of Knowledge: Function Allocation
- ResearchGate: Function Allocation in Complex Systems: Reframing an Old Problem
- Sage Journals: The Allocation of Functions in Systems
- Cognitive Design Systems: Function Allocation (in healthcare)