Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Time for Each Persona Inspection: 1 Hour
- Time to Create the Presentation: 4 Hours
- Prototype or live site
- Spreadsheet to record issues and insights
Carry Out This Method
- Define the characteristics inherent to each persona, including the tasks, goals, and needs important to each of them.
- Give each evaluator their assignment(s) with a due date to report their findings. You can have one evaluator adopt several different perspectives, as well. Some possible perspective types are:
- International User: Searching for issues a non-native English speaker might encounter, or problems stemming from the user’s location.
- Error-prone User: Search for likely sources of basic user mistakes, such as poor button placement or unclear terminology.
- Accessibility User: Search for overlooked alt tags, contrast ratios, video captions, and other accessibility concerns.
- Consistency User: Search for consistent branding elements, feature locations, and styling.
- Novice User: Search for UI elements that may confuse new visitors.
- Power User: Search for opportunities to remove steps, add shortcuts, and improve advanced features.
- Tell each of them to inspect the product independently.
- When you receive your evaluators’ findings, compile the issues together into a single document.
- Review the data with the entire team to clarify the findings.
- Prioritize issues based on the product’s development timeline.
- Present issues and insights to stakeholders and the team.
Try These Tips
- Do not try to cover every possible persona.
- You can create other types of product personas, such as the keyboarder, helpless user, or forgetful user. You want each evaluator to have a specific focus, with enough time to report issues and insights discovered during their inspection.
- In order to determine what personas to test for, ask your product’s Help Desk or Customer Service department for the common types of users they encounter.
- Inspectors with any kind of agenda will not be objective and should not participate in a Persona-Based Inspection.
- Have inspectors use a common template to make it easier to compile results (screenshots with callouts work best).