Schedule Time & Gather Materials
- Time Needed: Varies
- ~5 minutes to sketch a single feature
- 2-4 hours to draw the screens in a specific task flow
- Several months to create detailed wireframes for a complex system
- Paper and pens or
- Markerboard and dry-erase markers or
- Design software of choice
Carry Out This Method
- Identify a task you want to understand.
- Create a page view of the first step in that task.
- Imagine the user performing the desired action.
- Create a page view that displays the result of that action. Continue creating page views until the task is completed. This is called the Happy Path.
- Return to the start page and imagine actions that would take the user off the Happy Path.
- Create page views that display the results of those actions.
- Now imagine alternative ways to complete the task. Go back to Step 1 and create page views that describe the alternative paths.
Try These Tips
- Some organizations may also describe wireframes as mockups, prototypes, or wireflows. Make sure you understand organizational terminology.
- Wireframes can be used to communicate functionality to both business and development groups.
- Keeping wireframes updated is notoriously difficult. If wireframes are a customer deliverable or will be used for product documentation, make sure to budget significant time for updates.